It’s back to school season, and we all want to pack something wholesome, healthy, nutritious and something the kids will actually eat! When it comes to snacks that are best for dental health, think “low sugar”. Sugary foods and foods high in carbohydrates feed the bacteria that cause tooth decay. We’ve listed out some snacks that are both kid and tooth friendly and perfect for a school lunch snack:
- Cottage cheese with strawberries or blueberries
- Plain or sugar free yogurt
- Dill pickles
- Fruits high in water content such as apples, grapes, pears and melons
- Hard boiled eggs or deviled eggs
- Hard cheeses such as cheddar, swiss, Monterey jack, cheese sticks or mozzarella
- Lettuce Roll-ups — Roll deli meat, egg salad, or tuna and veggies in lettuce leaves
- Deli Meat Roll-ups — Roll cheese or veggies in lunch meat
- Low sugar beef or turkey jerky
- Nuts – almonds, cashews, peanuts, walnuts
- Sunflower seeds
- Salami or pepperoni slices
- Sugar-free Jello
- Tuna salad cupsFresh vegetables such as celery, carrots, edamame, broccoli, cauliflower and cucumber. A small container of ranch may help kids put away those veggies!
As much as we would love to follow our children around to make sure they eat well, we do have to let them make their own decisions. But we can help them learn to make positive choices, and packing a few good lunch snacks can at least give us a little peace of mind and help them toward good oral health while they are away.